At Saxon Primary School, we offer pupils a text rich learning environment which promotes high standards of language and literacy. Through our English curriculum, we help pupils develop the skills and knowledge that will enable them to communicate effectively and creatively through spoken and written language and equip them with the skills they need to become lifelong learners.
We place children’s love of reading and writing at the heart of our teaching and learning. It is our aim to do this by immersing children in an engaging and well-planned curriculum that meets the needs of each individual in our community, responsive to the different speeds at which children learn and sensitive to the challenges that all children face on their learning journey.
We support pupils to develop their love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment, as well as through our rich text approach to writing (Power of Reading). Our curriculum for English ensures that all pupils:
- read easily, fluently and with good understanding
- develop the habit of reading widely and often, for both pleasure and information
- acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
- write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style in and for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences
- use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas
- are competent in the art of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate